Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bye, Bye Binkies :(

Today was a big day for little Emma...she is growing up and it was time to say bye, bye to the binkies. I kind of dreaded today- ya know the saying -expect the worse; hope for the best (or something like that). I didn't know what to expect. Emma, like many 2 1/2 yr. olds, has loved her binky since the 1st day she sucked it. So many different people have different methods of taking the binkies away and it was hard to decide what to do, but in the end I am glad what I chose. Today I made the focus all about Emma being a big girl now. She got to open a present with a big bow on it that had a cool silky small (hand held size) blanket in it because she loves silky things. I told her that since she is a big girl now she will have no more binkies but that she gets a special blanket. Then I told her big girls get to paint nails and we painted her toenails with sparkly nail polish (of course). She had some whinny moments throughout the day, but no big melt downs. Nap time came and I thought to myself "Oh boy, this is where she is going to loose it". She surprised me. She was very, very sad that she didn't get a binkie during nap time but she only cried about 20 minutes and then fell asleep. When Daddy came home from work I told her that big girls get to go to the movies and we all went to the dollar theater to see Alvin and the Chipmunks and she ate LOTS of candy! She had a good time. Then we took her to the park and we threw rocks in the creek.
I expected her to cry again when we put her to bed (like at nap time) but she did NOT cry once! What a little trooper. I am so proud of her. This is a long blog, I know, but this was a big day for us...for me- it was hard for me to let the binky go (a little bit) too because it means she really is growing up and isn't a binky baby anymore. We are so proud of sweet Emma!

4 comments:

BKZANG said...

GO EMMA, AND KUDO'S TO GREAT PARENTS!

Mickelmonkey Mama said...

I'm so glad that it wasn't big diva drama! Hooray for Big Girl day! Mark your calendar and celebrate it every year! Go Emma!

Haynes Family said...

I'm so proud of her! What a success. I'm glad there haven't been any huge meltdowns.

Gardner Family said...

Laura you are so in-tuned to Emma. It just shows what a great sparkletastic momma you are! Congrats on Emma on being such a big girl! PS Wasn't Alvin and the chipmunks so fun to see with her? I brought Ben. It was his first movie in the theatre experience. :)