Saturday, August 15, 2009

Running is a pain in my... KNEE!



As my nephew, Sam, would say "Ya wanna know what the bad news is?" Well, my bad news is that I have a stress fracture and sprained ligament in my left knee (radiologist interpretation was: stress fracture in medial tibial plateau and a grade 1 MCL sprain - it stands for medial collateral ligament sprain). My right knee hurts but not as bad as the left one.

Sam also says "Ya wanna know what the good news is?" In my case the good news is that I did not tear anything or damage the soft cartilage. Whew!

So this "might" prevent me from running the full or the half marathon in October. I am optimistic so I don't want to say I will not be able to do either of them yet. I will find out more scoop on Monday from the Sports Medicine Doctor (he specializes in knee injuries) as far as what needs to happen in order for my knees to heal properly and how long he recommends that I do not exercise.

This is so disappointing to me... especially because in my 7 years of athletic training and competition I have never had an injury that prevented me from exercising or participating in sports. I had uncomfortable boo-boos, bruises, cuts, sore muscles, blisters, court burns, etc. but nothing like this (do you hear the violins playing in the background?). Booo hooo!

p.s. Ken and Kristin... looks like it might be more realistic that I do the marathon in Feb. with y'all - we shall see

No comments: