Emma and I had our first ride in an ambulance while on vacation in CA...I wish I could say it was due to the EMT's giving free rides at a fair or something but it was not for a cool reason like that. Emma had been doing somersaults on our bed and got disoriented and did one that resulted in her going off the bed and landing directly on her head on the hard tile floor! I kept tabs on Emma over the phone with an EMT friend in Texas and she told me what to look for that would deem Emma needing to go to the hospital- those things came to pass and my EMT friend (thanks Michelle) said to not wait and get to hospital to have her checked out.
The crew that came to get us in the ambulance were super nice. Emma started to cry when we told her we might be taking her to the hospital. I told her she doesn't need to be sad because they are going to help her and I would be with her. With tears in her eyes she said "I don't want to get my appendix out!" It was so hard not to laugh, but she thought this is what would happen to her because that is what happened to Madeline (a girl in a book we have). I promised her that she would not be getting her appendix out!
The crew made the trip so "fun" for Emma...No really she was having FUN! I was worried, my tummy was in anxious knots, but I was trying to play it all cool and not look like anything of the things I was feeling about the whole situation - anxious- etc. but Emma thought it was cool to be in an ambulance and get all sorts of attention from kind paramedics. One guy folded a piece of paper into the shape of a heart for Emma by using some mad origami skills.
At the hospital she was all giddy and happy because she felt like Curious George (referring to those hospital episodes). She really wanted a hospital gown (even though she did not "need" one) and so the nurse brought her one to wear on top of her clothes.
The crew that came to get us in the ambulance were super nice. Emma started to cry when we told her we might be taking her to the hospital. I told her she doesn't need to be sad because they are going to help her and I would be with her. With tears in her eyes she said "I don't want to get my appendix out!" It was so hard not to laugh, but she thought this is what would happen to her because that is what happened to Madeline (a girl in a book we have). I promised her that she would not be getting her appendix out!
The crew made the trip so "fun" for Emma...No really she was having FUN! I was worried, my tummy was in anxious knots, but I was trying to play it all cool and not look like anything of the things I was feeling about the whole situation - anxious- etc. but Emma thought it was cool to be in an ambulance and get all sorts of attention from kind paramedics. One guy folded a piece of paper into the shape of a heart for Emma by using some mad origami skills.
At the hospital she was all giddy and happy because she felt like Curious George (referring to those hospital episodes). She really wanted a hospital gown (even though she did not "need" one) and so the nurse brought her one to wear on top of her clothes.

Did not take long for her to feel at home.

3 comments:
Oh my goodness Laura May!!!! I am so happy Emma is okay.
I think it is one of the hardest things to stay calm for your kids when you are worried to death inside. I am proud of you Momma. Way to keep cool like a super secret agent. ;)
Again, SO happy sweet princess is okay!
oh no! glad everything turned out ok.
we are glad that everything was alright! Way to stay calm and not freak out!
Post a Comment