Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pleasant pondering and wandering

Life has been a bit difficult for me lately and I have felt very weighed down with responsibilities and stress. I felt prompted to go visit my Grandma and Grandpa Burr's grave sites one day when we driving past the cemetery on our way home from Gymnastics (last time I did that was forever ago). I am glad I followed the prompting because it was amazing how slowing down to take time to do something like that will bring clarity and peace to your mind and soul. It was the perfect temperature outside, sunny, and beautiful! It was quiet and serene.

I didn't expect it to feel so warm and comforted in a place where dead people are buried, but I did because being there gave me the opportunity to ponder and remind myself that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us and want us all to be happy. They have a plan for all of us and our progression does not end on this earth, our physical bodies die but our spirits do not. The knowledge that we will see our loved ones again and that relationships with family do not end with death was a very comforting feeling. A peaceful feeling. I was so thankful to have a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ... my testimony made it so easy to answer all of Emma's many questions about death.



Emma: Where are we?
Me: We are at a cemetery and are going to visit my Grandma and Grandpa Burr
Emma: I might be a little bit shy when I meet them

When we got to tombstones/grave site Emma asked "Why are they not talking to us?"
(I then explained about how their physical bodies were buried there but their spirits were in Heaven)


Emma wanted me to read lots of the tombstones to her.
She would point at the ones she wanted read with her ballet slipper.

Emma looks off in the distance with a look of awe and amazement and says:
"Oooooohhhh - Mommy there is Jesus! Can we go see Him?"
(she spotted a large statue of the Savior in the distance- so we went to go see him)
Me: Yes, we can totally go see that statue of Jesus.

While at the statue she looked so happy and peaceful- it was the sweetest thing. The sun became brighter when a cloud moved and it was streaming in on her and the statue due to the way the trees were... she said "Ahhhh did Jesus just make the sun do that?"


Emma: Why is this Jesus statue here?
Me: To remind people that Jesus loves us and that we love Him and want to live with Him forever and ever. I love our Savior.
Emma: Me too!
Later at home...
She said she wanted to see a picture of her Great Grandparents that we visited today and so I went to look some up on computer, but then I soon realized why she was disappointed...
Emma: No, I want to see a picture of them dead in the ground.
*then I did more explaining...*


I love how she kept holding his hand.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I love cemeteries. when I was younger we went all the time. My grandma was pretty young when she passed away. We would go for every holiday and more and play our instruments (me on flute, my sister on violin) for my grandma, and later for both my grandparents. Then we'd go visit some of the prophets who are buried nearby (Presidents Kimball, Hinckley, and Howard are in the same platt as my granparents.) Then we'd sit on their headstone bench and look at the lovely view for a bit. After that we would go visit some of the many other family members buried in the cemetery (it's a big cemetery). And My dad would tell lots of stories and impress upon us that it was so important to remember them and where there are.

Last summer I took my kids to see them. It was neat. I still love being there. I miss my grandmother very much. I was only 11 when she died. I wish I would have been able to get to know her more when I was older. She was a wonderful lady. But it is good to teach your children that cemeteries aren't freaky or scary or weird. They are kind of like another home.

Sorry for the long comment. Thanks for helping me remember my grandma.