Sunday, October 25, 2009

Marathon Maddness? Nope- Marathon Miracle

Matt and Rachel completed their 1st Marathon on Oct. 17th in Kansas City, Missouri! It was amazing and inspiring to witness. I am so proud of both of them! They did amazing, they persevered, and they stuck together! I feel so grateful to have been able to go on this trip. I loved the whole experience. It will take several posts to capture the whole trip so I will just do one at a time until I have covered all the fun I had on this fabulous trip.

Oh but just to keep things real- I do have to note that getting to Kansas City, MO proved much more difficult than I had anticipated. I was suppose to arrive on the 16th in the early evening but didn't end up at my final destination until like 1030am the next day (17th). I almost got stranded in Houston, but luckily was able to go to Dallas and my Dad saved me! He picked me up and I stayed the night at his house and then he took me to the airport the next morning. It was an unexpected detour but really nice to visit with my Dad. Then my Mom and Crystalyn came and got me from airport and then headed to the course to see my bro and sis. Whew- flying standby is how I live on the edge :) ha ha!

I will start with the most amazing thing- Matt and Rachel completing the marathon! Well, I first got to see them both at the 21 mile marker...since I was so delayed in my travels. I was so excited for them and got a bit teared up. I really wish I could have been running with them...maybe next time ;) wink, wink If there is a next time. Good news though- my knee is healing up nicely. Anyway, I digress.


Looking strong at mile 21! Woohooo!

21 miles done and only 5.2 miles to go!


Mom and Crystalyn in The Crown Center
(it was a huge mall that overlooked the starting & finishing area of the marathon)

Pics I snapped while we waited to hear news from Rachel and Matt

It was a cold, beautiful fall day!

Crystalyn and I made shadow poses as we waited for Matt and Rachel near finish line.

Crystalyn and Laura

Mom, Crystalyn, and I all got teary and choked up as we watched person after person cross the finish line. We cheered our hearts out for them. We didn't know them, but it didn't matter. We were witnessing all sorts of people completing something challenging, life changing, inspiring, and very difficult. To me Marathons are all about the strength of the human spirit! These people are not crazy, insane, or delusional as some might assume... they are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and friends that are either driven, ambitious, looking for a major change in their lives, wanting to prove something to themselves, those who decide that doing the norm is not enough, that life would be a little more sweet if they test the limits of their own strength...okay you get the point. It was so neat at how moving this experience was. I recommend everyone to go cheer or volunteer at a marathon at least once to see what I am talking about - it was so spiffy!

Coming down the final stretch to finish line!

Almost there!


They did it! They did it! They did it!
(finish line video coming soon)

Me, Rachel, Matt, Crystalyn, and Mama

Oh yeah! Sportin' the coveted marathon medal
The Marathon Finisher Shirt & Medal

Crystalyn and Matt are happy, proud, and relieved that is over with!

Marathon Super Heroes!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Laura,

I am so sorry you couldn't run, but so glad you were able to go and watch people you love cross the finish line! I know exactly what you are talking about. It is a very presoanl experience to see people complete such a tremendous accomplishment even if you don't know them!

Glad you made it there and back in one piece.